Moving from one place/city to another especially with lots of household items is not a fun chore. It can be one of the most challenging and daunting tasks you will ever have to do. It can consume your precious time and energy as well. But you can make relocation process easier with these expert tips and solutions.
Binder/File/Folder: You can save your precious time, energy and possibly money by creating a binder or file or folder for your move. It is advisable that you should start creating it at least two months before your move. You should organize moving needs into following categories.
- Moving Checklist: A good checklist will help you organize things better. Using a good checklist you can know what needs to be done before, during and after your move. You can find printable moving checklist online. There are several online sites that provide free printable moving checklist.
- Utilities: Keeping track of utility documents, paperwork, etc is imperative. You can also use this section to list contact information and appointments. It is advisable that you should make appointments well in advance.
- Documents & Paperwork: In this section keep track of all your important documents and paperwork; such loan documents, receipts, important contact numbers, packers and movers numbers, moving estimates, etc.
- Inventory List: Create inventory list for your belongings. You can find printable moving inventory list online. Print inventory list and fill it out properly.
- Schedules: Use this section to keep track of all important schedules and appointments; such as appointments with professional packers and movers.
Packing Supplies: Purchase superior quality and sturdy packing supplies well in advance. You should purchase 25% extra packing supplies and moving boxes than of you actually need. You may need packing supplies like: boxes/cartons of different sizes, dish-pack boxes, wardrobe boxes, zippered plastic bags, wrapping sheets, old newspapers, blank newsprint papers, old cotton clothes, bubble wraps, scissors, knife, packaging tape, tape dispenser, labelling stickers, colourful card sheets, etc.
Packing of Household Items: Pack things correctly wrapping each item properly. Place heavier/larger items first and lighter/smaller ones later. Don’t overweight a box. Pack things on the room by room basis. Don’t mix items of different nature or different rooms in a single box. Use plenty of padding supplies to protect items against damages. Don’t leave empty space in any box. Fill the empty space with old cotton clothes or wadded old newspapers. You must disassemble the furniture into pieces; if it is possible. You should wrap furniture pieces in old blankets. You must defrost your refrigerator at least 24 hours of your move. If possible, use original packing supplies and boxes to pack electronics and appliances like TV, Music Player, Microwave Oven, Mixer Grinder Juicer, Refrigerator, Washing Machine, etc. If you don’t have original packing supplies then you should ask your movers and packers for recommended packing supplies and boxes. Don’t forget to pack an essential bag containing necessary items which you will need first at your new destination door step.
Labelling & Color Coding of Boxes: Creating a moving legend and labelling boxes will keep you organized and make the process easier. Circular sticker labels will be very useful in creating moving legend. This will help you to represent designated areas in the house where each moving box will go. Use color coded card sheet to match the color of circular sticker labels; and hang them on each doorway. This will show the packers and movers where the boxes go, and will help you alleviate any misunderstanding and bewilderment as to where to put the boxes. This will also save you a lot of unpacking time and make things easier. Instead of color coding you can also use text tags to label boxes. You should use appropriate tags such as Fragile, Kitchen, Bedroom, Living Area, Garments, Bathroom, Accessories, etc. Self-adhesive moving labels are available in the market. You can also purchase labelling stickers online. Label the each box with appropriate tag and also place a list of contents in each box. Thereafter should also use color code to show where the box will go at your new destination. Use zippered plastic bags to keep loose items or small items.
I hope ideas mentioned in this article will keep you well organized for your next move. Search online for important tips to help you organize for your next move. Packers and Movers Pune has a great list of moving tips that can be very beneficial to you and your move.